My studio/craft room is my quiet place or at least that’s what I would like it to be. I’ve changed my craft room so many times since I started my business, it’s hard to keep count. Within 5 years, I’ve moved from a small room in my basement, to a small room upstairs, to a larger room in the basement. I’ve also changed the furniture around in those spaces between 2-6 times each. It’s hard settling on one space but with proper planning, I’m on my way to my perfect craft room.
I’m a crafter and I can’t help but to make things. Take a look at some of my craft related items as well as craft storage solutions. Some were makeshift fails but hopefully it will give you an idea and perfect your own!
I’ve been looking for a ribbon solution to satisfy my massive collection of ribbon. I was a bit of a ribbon hoarder but I’ve down-sized...a bit. I made this ribbon shelf using an IKEA Kallax shelf, cardboard trays, and popsicle sticks. First, I measured where I wanted each drawer to go. Then, I drilled holes to place my shelf pegs (disclaimer: this shelf is not made for drilling). Of course, it wasn’t until after I drill all of the holes that I realized I don’t have enough pegs. So, being the brilliant crafter that I am (and the fact that I refused to go back to the store), I found a bag of popsicle sticks, broke them in half, glued the halves together, and stuck them in the holes. Homemade pegs! I used a few of the trays to make the shelf base and placed them over the popsicle stick pegs. Finally, I assembled the drawers and organized my ribbons by color, including scrap ribbon.
Update: Check out my video on how to make this ribbon storage solution:
Now this I thought was a brilliant idea....until I actually made it and had to use it. First, I attached a lazy Susan to an old square table top. Then, I screwed four 4x1’ (heavy) wood planks onto the square and to each other. I bought 8 hanging file organizers, nailed at the top of the board where the holes are, and hung the organizers. I got the bright idea (not really) to glue the sides so you couldn’t see the plank. I should mention that I wrapped the planks with hideous wrapping paper. I think I liked it initially because it could hold all of my paper and I could spin it to get to everything easier. It eventually became an eyesore for me and took up a lot of space. I think if I planned it out and made it uniformed and pretty, I may have kept it up.
Other than ribbon, paper is something I have in abundance. I needed a better, efficient, and inexpensive way to store all of my paper and this solution works the best so far. I used some wire cube shelving and a little over 100 zip ties to make a 43 shelf paper rack.
Update: Check out my video tutorial on how to make this shelving solution:
Check out my handmade table skirt. I prefer to hide all my crap and thought this tutu and ribbon skirt would be a great idea. This was one of my old photo booth set ups. My studio color scheme at the time was pink and black so I measured and cut a variety of pink, black, white, and silver ribbon and tulle I had abundance of. I love how it came out but I changed my colors to an aqua-turquoise blue, black, and white so it’s sitting in storage right now. I might cut it shorter and use it as a bed skirt for my daughter!
When I changed my studio around (again), my cutting work would share a space with my product photo booth; It wasn't working out. I used a sheet of wood, 2 door stops, 2 hinges, and 2 hooks (and a quick YouTube diy video) to make my own murphy table. Now I have 2 separate surfaces for my cutting and photos. I thought about making the underside of the table nice and pretty, but if I waited on that, this picture would not be included. Note, I'm a terrible planner and it always comes back to haunt me. The door stops were a little shorter than my Silhouette so I had to use 2 empty tulle rolls to get the height. Also, I didn't follow the video exactly, because....I have no idea why I didn't follow the video exactly.
I have quite a few embellishments so I ordered 40 2-drawer storage containers from dollar tree. My color scheme was pink and black so of course I had to paint them black (some were already pink). I made the bottom drawers using my die-cut machine and some hot glue.